Tuesday, October 30, 2018

Reading Notes:Myth-Folklore Unit: Apache Tales, Part B


The story that caught my eye today was “Coyote Kills the Prairie Dogs”. This one caught my eye because in all the stories I read coyote missed out on his chance at something. In this one he misses out at a meal chance. When I rewrite this story, I would make the coyote a man that deceives some rabbits. I would have him destroy the entrance to their burrow. But then be nice and offer to take care of them for an evening until the next day where they could make a new burrow. Then I would have him make a fire and kill them while they danced and celebrated his help. When they realize he is not helping they would have nowhere to go. I would then have the man cook them and hang them high in a tree while he slept the rest of the night away. Then I would have a vulture come and take all the rabbit’s meat except the smallest one. The next morning the man would reach up for the meat and find that one and throw it away saying its to small. But after realizing the meat was all gone he would have to eat the small one he threw in the dirt.

Bibliography: Apache Tales by P. E. Godard

No comments:

Post a Comment